Thursday, November 4, 2010

Foodie Thrift Store Find (of the Year?!)


If you have not figured it out already I am a thrift
store shopper, I just love all the possibilities you have when you go into a thrift store.  You are not tied down by current trends and fads, and (the best part) I can usually afford just about everything!  Thrifting has been great for outfitting my kitchen, from those specialty gadgets that I can never afford in the kitchen stores to unique dishware that makes my table stand out and my food look fabulous.  

I discovered something at the local Thrift Town that trumps many of my great finds for the year, a foodie board game!!  Spices of the World: the McCormick Spice Trading Game, was put out by McCormick Spice Company in the 80's and whoever owned it before me either never played it or took very good care of their board games because this not only has all the pieces but is in pristine condition, it even has the registration postcard to mail in! 

I have yet to figure out all the rules to the game, there are a lot of them, but I have had a blast looking at all the different pieces.  A lot of detail went into the making of this game and I have to wonder if it was for a special McCormick anniversary or something.  Even the little playing pieces have actual spices inside, there is: Mustard Seed, Dill Weed, Paprika and Rosemary.  Each spice card, 38 in total, has a recipe on the back that highlights that spice.  A few of those are; Lobster with Vanilla Sauce, Apple Cider Squash, Saffron Rice, and Poppy Seed Dressing.  I can't wait to try out a few of these just to see if they work!

This is definitely one of my favorite foodie thrift store finds of all time, I can't think of anything more unique that I have found, and this is a great example of something you would never find in a "new" store.  I should mention that it was 99cents too, you can't beat that!  What are some of your favorite foodie thrift store finds?   


6 comments:

  1. Congrats on your great Foodie Find. Thanks for sharing! Ashley from Thrift Town

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, I have no idea what could top that find! It looks like Risk, but for spices? I'm totally amazed and off to ebay to see if any more exist...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stella, I know! Hopefully you find one, let me know if you do. It might take some searching it is definitely an odd item.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a fun find!

    Love your foodie fiction and non-fiction lists. I and a couple of blogger buddies started a foodie book club online if you want to check it out, Cook the Books. We read a selected title every two months and read the book, blog a little review and then cook up something inspired by our reading. We are reading Bill Buford's "Heat" right now and if you would like to join in the fun, we always welcome people to join us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rachel,
    Glad you liked the lists. I have actually followed your blog for a few years (I met you a while back while I was working for Red Fox Books) and I am intrigued by Cook the Books. Thanks for the invite and now that I have a blog I think I may take you up on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Rice Purity Test acts like a questionnaire, delving into your experiences and behavior to gauge your level of innocence. It covers various aspects, such as relationships and habits, and is commonly taken for amusement with friends. It serves as a lighthearted means to explore each other's experiences and share some laughs along the way.

    ReplyDelete