Monday, February 14, 2011

The Food of Love ( Happy Valentine's Day)

Food has this awesome ability to take romance to the next level, accompanying our emotions with flavors and mouth sensations that stay with us sometimes longer than the lover.  I have had the good fortune of sharing some incredible meals with my husband, and many of our favorite memories occurred over, with or while making food.  I have a list of foods that immediately come to mind when I think of romantic foods: Oysters, artichokes, lamb, most things eaten with your fingers, brie and bread (so often eaten while lying in the grass).  Some of these are cliché (oysters) others personal favorites (artichokes), making me curious what everyone else's  lists look like. 

What would you say is a romantic food?  Is this personal or one you think is common?

Some good books linking romance with food:

Aphrodite by Isabele Allende

Chocolat by Joanne Harris

The Food of Love by Anthony Cappello

Keeping the Feast: One couples story of love, food and healing in Italy
by Paula Buttini

The Gastronomy of Marriage by Michelle Maisto

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

The Feasting Season by Nancy Coons

Trail of Crumbs: hunger, love and the search for home by Kim Sunee

Anyway, no matter where you are or who you are with I hope you all have a wonderful day today and hopefully there is some great food involved!

2 comments:

  1. Funny that so many of your favorites are the same as mine. I wonder why that is... I would also add a pot of brothy soup with a crunchy bread for dunking can sure bring a look of love to ones eyes. Thanks for the tip of the book Aphrodite by Isabele Allende. I love this writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sharalee
    Yes, you will like Aphrodite, I also recommend Keeping the Feast, for you, though some points are very sad it is beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete